ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as a legacy. Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalized children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal. Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan International Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
- Fixed-term employment for 2 years based each in regional office east (Janakpur)
- The Program specialist's role reporting to oversee and ensure a high-quality project implementation, in both development and humanitarian settings and achieve targets towards plans and/or donor's requirements through overall management of the implementing partners within learn program ( Education and skills and opportunities for youth employment and entrepreneurship) in the respective areas and districts under the direct supervision of Regional Manager
- Also work closely with the senior Technical advisor-learn of the country office to enhance the capacity and skill of the partner NGO, local government and other key stakeholders and also to ensure the quality of the project delivery at the field level.
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organization for all children, girls & young people
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Operational planning & execution
- Analysis & reasoning
- Managing work relationships ( internal/external)
- Communicating, one to one, in groups both in writing, verbally, presentations and reports in English, Nepali and relevant local languages.
- Preparation and management of budgets and assessment of financial implications in work situations
- Facilitation, negotiation and networking
- Persuasion and ability to influence
- Ability to problem solve, handle setbacks and pressure
- Ability to use basic office electronic equipment & computer applications
Education + Experience
- Master’s degree in Development Studies, Management, Education, Master in TVET, Sociology or relevant sector with 2-3 years of experience working in the relevant sector or Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies, Management, Education, Sociology or related sector with3-5 years of related experience for the role
- Experience in designing/managing projects on Education and SOYEE sector in Nepal.
- Experience in policy advocacy on issues on Education and SOYEE sector.
- Understanding of Education and SOYEE in Emergency and its operationalization during emergency response.
- Advance knowledge and experience of National Education programs, projects and policies.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of Education and SOYEE projects and program.
- Experience in networking/engaging with key actors on Education and SOYEE sector.
- Experience of working with private sector actors (employers and their associations )
- Experience in capacity development of project staff including partner staff & stakeholders on gender-transformative education promotion
- Capacity to produce evidence-based, robust program design and public policy recommendations and positions.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- Commitment to Plan’s goals, mission, values and approach including the ability to lead on safeguarding and child protection matters where necessary.
- Understanding of gender issues and able to incorporate it as a crosscutting approach to education and the SOYEE sector.